|STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS AND CLUBS POLICY|
The St. Tammany Parish School Board, recognizing the importance of worthwhile organizations and clubs in the school, encourages all students to participate in student organizations and club activities. Students shall have the right to form organizations or clubs within the school for cultural, social, athletic and other authorized purposes, which will enrich and extend their education. Such groups shall follow administrative regulations and procedures developed and maintained by the Superintendent and staff governing the creation and operation of student organizations and clubs in accordance with School Board policy.
Student organizations or clubs shall not deny membership to any student because of race, color, creed, sex, national origin or disability.
Principals shall be responsible for approving or authorizing any student activity and/or organization and shall be responsible for the operation and oversight of all student activities or organizations to assure compliance with administrative regulations.
As provided by the Federal Equal Access Act, any school, which allows secondary non-curriculum related groups access to school facilities during non-instructional time, must adhere to the following criteria:
1. Equal access will not be denied on the basis of religious, political, philosophical or other content of such meetings or organizations;
2. The meetings are voluntary and student initiated;
3. There is no sponsorship of the meetings by the school, the government or its agents or employees;
4. Employees or agents of the school or government are present at religious meetings only in a non-participatory capacity;
5. The meetings do not materially and substantially interfere with the orderly conduct of educational activities within the school;
6. Non-school persons may not direct, conduct, control or regularly attend activities of student groups; and
7. If access is given to school media such as bulletin boards, newspapers or public address systems, it must be given to all non-curriculum related clubs on an equal basis.