It is the mission of the St. Tammany Parish School System to serve our young children and their families and to create conditions for their success as life-long learners.
Understanding the natural progression of child growth and development, and being grounded in the belief that all children are capable of learning, prekindergarten programs provide a strong foundation for future success. Prekindergarten settings provide rich learning experiences which enhance the development of cognitive, social, emotional, language and literacy, and motor skills in a manner and pace consistent with the needs and capabilities of each individual child. Emphasis is placed on play, the child’s natural approach to learning. Through playful interactions with objects and people, the child gains knowledge about the world in which he/she lives.
Children are part of a family. When families take an active role in the education of the child, he/she is able to be successful. The prekindergarten program provides many opportunities for parental involvement.
Goals for STPPS Pre K
- To develop a positive self-image by encouraging independent thinking, developing problem solving skills, and enabling children to be successful in accomplishing developmentally appropriate tasks set for them.
- To enhance social and emotional development by furthering the development of respect for human dignity and the rights of others.
- To expand early concepts, improve communication skills, stimulate interest in the natural world and encourage creativity.
- To involve parents and families in the young child’s learning experiences.
- To provide a learning environment that is in keeping with the standards set in the Early Childhood Environmental Rating Scale (ECERS).
- To provide educational opportunities in a developmentally appropriate manner in compliance with the Louisiana Standards for prekindergarten that will prepare children for kindergarten.